- SERS Substrates Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy
SERS Substrates Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy
Manufactured using an innovative new technique, our gold SERS substrates let you make fast, repeatable SERS measurements for the identification and quantification of SERS-active analytes.Typical applications include trace level detection of explosives and narcotics and precision screening of food ingredients for controlled additives such as melamine and pesticides. SERS substrates also can be used for authentication and anti-counterfeiting applications using SERS-active taggants. Here are some key applications:
- Detection of explosives. Being able to identify trace levels of explosives allows us to better screen for threats at security checkpoints or on the battlefield.
- Detection of narcotics. Fast identification of drugs in the field is a real boon for those combating drug-related crime. Often only small residues of a sample can be collected from a crime scene. SERS also opens up a potential route for fast roadside drug screening of drivers using saliva samples.
- Food safety. Certain additives such as melamine found in milk powder can be extremely harmful even at very low concentrations. Using SERS, we can qualify and quantify the level of dangerous trace elements in our food supply chain.
- Anti-counterfeit tagging. High value products that are subject to duties and taxes — petrol is one example — are often the target of piracy and fraud. By adding a small amount of a SERS-active taggant to the unadulterated product, detecting the presence of the taggant becomes an instant indicator of authenticity.
- Biological research. SERS can be used to identify and characterize biological samples including proteins, DNA and bacteria.
Ocean Optics introduces an innovative manufacturing method for SERS substrates. SERS amplifies the Raman effect by creating a plasmon resonance field. Using precisely controlled gold nanoparticles, Ocean Optics SERS substrates can amplify very weak Raman signals by many orders of magnitude, which is critical for trace level detection. Unlike many existing SERS products on the market, Ocean Optics SERS substrates are easy to use, affordable and can be mass produced with high repeatability for routine deployment in the lab or field.
Engineering Specifications SERS Substrates
Substrate material: Gold nanoparticles
Active area: 5 mm diameter
Format: Microscope slide format (standard); other form factors available
Sensitivity: ppm to ppb level sensitivity for wide range of analytes
Measurement speed: Sample to results within seconds
Substrate shelf life: ~30 days
Value-priced package: 5 substrates per pack